Saturday, August 2, 2014

REVIEW: Thorne by Charlotte McConaghy


Title: Thorne (The Chronicles of Kaya #2) 
Author: Charlotte McConaghy 
Synopsis: Lovers in Kaya have always died together, bonded in death as in life. But a cure for the bond has sent rumours like wildfire through the land. A team of young Kayans will be sent on a quest to find the answer and, with rebellion brewing, the very nature of love is at stake. The beautiful but reckless Finn has never shied away from danger, and ending the bond means more to her than anyone knows. This adventure sounds thrilling to her, but Finn has always been willing to risk too much, and for the first time must face the idea that she has something—or someone—to lose. Crown Prince Thorne, in the neighbouring land of Pirenti, has grown up rejecting the legacy of his father’s blood, keeping caged the beast that lies dormant within. But the moment he sets eyes on the wild girl from the Kayan cliffs, his usual caution hasn’t a hope of surviving. As the world crumbles around them, can Finn and Thorne cast off the shadows to find a love stronger than either imagined? Or is their true challenge to find a way to embrace the darkness within?


My Review:

Personally, Thorne has been one of the most expected books of this year, I´ve been waiting for its release since I finished reading Avery last summer. I fell so deeply and utterly in love with Avery that it instantly became one of my favourite books . So I had high expectations for Thorne and I have to say that I loved it too, not as much as Avery because that book is a master piece but it will hold a place of honor in my book favourite list for sure.

The story takes place 18 years after the end of Avery and the main characters are Thorne, the heir to the throne, and Finn an adventurous Kayan girl that loves danger. There are four narrators in the story: Thorne, Finn, Falco and Quillane. In the beginning I didn´t like the chapters narrated by Falco and Quillane, I knew they were important but I was more interested in the development of the story of Thorne and Finn. Though in the end one of the best chapters of the whole book was the one narrated by Falco and Isadora. 

I have to admit that it took me sometime to like Finn, I liked her looks and attitude but I didn´t portrayed her as Thorne´s girl, it seemed like they were not going to fit together. Though in the end they were two opposite pieces of the same puzzle, they complemented each other perfectly. And Thorne was not what I was expecting, I thought he was going to be like his father violent and ruthless and he is the opposite. He is strong, fierce, and young. He loves deeply and cares for his family and friends. He avoids violence and blood at much as he can and he has a really strong will; he is powerful yet humble.
The secondary characters are  also an important part for the development of the plot. They give realism and color to the story. At first I wasn´t sure of Isadora´s role in the story but in the end she is a really important piece in the development of the book. The author has been able to surprise me, I wasn´t expecting that twist in the story at all. I was literally left with my mouth hanging open and re-reading it because it really took me by surprise. When I saw the title of the next book I squealed in excitement. I really think Isadora is going to my favourite book.
There are similitudes between Avery and Thorne, both male characters are from Pirenti while the females are from Kaya. Both couples seem to be mortal enemies that in the end overcome they differences. The stories´main events take place in an exciting journey. And of course there are heartbreaking scenes that made me cry like a baby. In both books I had to stop reading because I couldn´t see through my tears.
I loved that I got to know more about Avery and Ambrose, I really missed them.

McConaghy has created an epic love story in a world where it seemed impossible to conquer differences. While at the same time she has developed a web of intrigues and mysteries around the characters.
I can´t really find enough adjectives to say how much I love this series. The Chronicles of Kaya is an addictive, powerful, and wickedly breathtaking series that will grab your heart so tight in a fist of feelings that you will end up sobbing of pain and happiness while in awe because it so magical to feel that words can make you feel that much. And I would really would love to have them on paperback, I need them to be in my shelf.
The Chronicles of Kaya is a MUST read for all the fantasy lovers, I would also recommend it to romance and adventure readers. It has everything to be your next favourite series, so please go and give it a try, you won´t regret it!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...